Saturday, January 10, 2009

Activism Update - We're Not Done Yet

Sigh...where to begin...

Let's start by saying that your letters/e-mails have not gone unnoticed. Dennis and I met with Dr. McVicar (the poor guy I asked you to bombard with correspondence) yesterday. I had spoken to the Transplant Coordinator earlier in the week. She assured me that Dr. McVicar was about to add Dennis to the list, needing only to see him in person before making it official.

All this would have made me the happiest woman on the planet, if it had gone as planned. Late last week, Dennis's infection came back. Instead of adding him to the wait list, Dr. McVicar admitted him to the hospital, where he will remain for a while, probably a couple of weeks, at least. Since antibiotics and drain tubes haven't done the job, there is only one alternative treatment for the infection, and that's surgery. It is extremely risky - this is the procedure they wanted to do a few months ago but didn't dare to because Dennis is so fragile. He's no less fragile now, but they keep reminding me that there are simply no other alternatives.

Meanwhile, we have won a battle in getting Dr. McVicar directly involved in Dennis's case, but we haven't won the war. What about all those other people we can't speak for? In talking to various staff members at the clinic, I've learned that money is the ONLY reason the program was closed. There's not enough profit, so they cut it, plain and simple. Since when should doctors and hospitals care more about making a profit than they care about their patients lives?

Poor Dr. McVicar has probably heard enough from us. I do, however, have the name of the Chief Medical Officer (Allan D. Siefkin). It was his office that made the decision and needs to hear how stupid it was. If anyone reading this has any media connections in the Sacramento area, talk to me. Staffers at the clinic believe that media attention may make the decision-makers rethink what they've done. Pressure, pressure, pressure. I've sent an e-mail to the Chief of Staff for Sacramento's Mayor Kevin Johnson (Mr. Kunal Merchant, e-mail KMerchant@cityofsacramento.org), just for good measure.

The UC Davis Community Advisory Board may also be a good avenue to pursue. http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/community_relations/board.html. The Chair of the 2008/2009 Board, Karen Vicari, even has her own Facebook page... :)

Have I told you yet how much I appreciate your help? Say a prayer (or whatever you do) for my hubby when you can...

No comments:

Post a Comment